"La La Land" chosen as best film by Utah Film Critics Association
Dec 23, 2016 19h29
By Dan Metcalf
Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone in La La Land - © 2016 Lionsgate
Modern musical “La La Land” took top honors during the annual gathering of the Utah Film Critics Association (UFCA) this week.
The musical directed by Damien Chazelle and starring Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling as two artists trying to deal with love and make it big in Hollywood also took home awards for best actress (Stone), cinematography (Linus Sundgren) and musical score (Justin Hurwitz).
“Moonlight,” the story of a young man coming to terms with his sexuality in the middle of an urban, gangster/drug-infested neighborhood was honored by the UFCA. Barry Jenkins was selected as best director and best adapted screenplay, while Mahershala Ali tied with John Goodman for best supporting actor.
Casey Affleck took top honors as leading actor, while Viola Davis was honored as best supporting actress for her role in “Fences.”
Kubo and the Two Strings was chosen as best animated feature.
Here is the list of all the UFCA winners:
• Best Picture: "La La Land"; runner-up: "Moonlight."
• Directing: Barry Jenkins, "Moonlight"; runner-up, Damien Chazelle, "La La Land."
• Lead Actor, Male: Casey Affleck, "Manchester by the Sea"; runner-up: Joel Edgerton, "Loving."
• Lead Actor, Female: Emma Stone, "La La Land"; runner-up: Ruth Negga, "Loving."
• Supporting Actor, Female: Viola Davis, "Fences"; runners-up: (tie) Naomie Harris, "Moonlight," Michelle Williams, "Manchester by the Sea."
• Supporting Actor, Male: (tie) Mahershala Ali, "Moonlight," John Goodman, "10 Cloverfield Lane."
• Original Screenplay: Taylor Sheridan, "Hell or High Water"; runner-up: Kenneth Lonergan, "Manchester by the Sea."
• Adapted Screenplay: Barry Jenkins and Tarell Alvin McCraney, "Moonlight"; runner-up: Eric Heisserer, "Arrival."
• Cinematography: Linus Sandgren, "La La Land"; runner-up: Bradford Young, "Arrival."
• Original Score: Justin Hurwitz, "La La Land"; runner-up: Johann Johannsson, "Arrival."
• Documentary Feature: "Cameraperson"; runner-up: "Weiner."
• Animated Feature: "Kubo and the Two Strings"; runners-up: (tie) "Moana" and "Zootopia."
• Non-English Language Film: "The Handmaiden" (South Korea); runners-up: (tie) "Elle" (France) and "Toni Erdmann" (Germany).
The UFCA is comprised of film critics based in Utah, including:
Brooks Bird (Cinenerds), Kaitlyn Booth (Bleeding Cool), Richard Bonaduce (KSTU-TV), Kent Dunn (Showtime Showdown), Luke Hickman (The Reel Place dot com), Jimmy Martin (KSL 5-TV), Adam McDonald (Big Shiny Robot), Sean Means (Salt Lake Tribune), Dan Metcalf (City Journals), Andy Morgan (KVNU-Radio), Ryan Painter (KUTV-TV), Aaron Peck (Logan Herald-Journal), Scott Renshaw (City Weekly), Steve Salles (KJZZ-TV), Mike Thiriot (KHTB 101.9 FM-Radio), Tony Toscano (KTVX - TV), Jenniffer Wardell (Davis Clipper), and Doug Wright (KSL - Radio).